Skip to main content

This is hard! But Not Impossible!!

Grief makes me mad! It imposes on my life all the time! So I sat down to "declutter" my life, hoping to delete all the "mad", only to discover a precious gift.

Have you ever received the perfect gift... or have you been given a gift that you feel you did not deserve? I think those are the best gifts, not just to receive but also to give. However, all too often gifts are demanded or prescribed... I know someone who said, "I am so bad at giving gifts to my wife that I simply asked  her to tell me what she wanted. I would then go out and carefully buy exactly what she requested"... Shame the poor thing, his life is much better he now only gets in trouble for not wrapping it properly. You see, even if we manage to find the perfect gift... there will always be the issue of the gift wrap. 

Christ has given us the perfect gift in the perfect wrapping. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9(ESV)

I just realized that the best gifts I ever gave were the gifts that cost me the most... don't misunderstand. I am not necessarily talking about monitory costs... I think that time, effort, thought, sacrifice, etc is just as valuable, if not more. Often we give gifts that are valued extravagant in monitory terms but has no real value to the recipient.

"Grace is a free gift of bountiful love wrapped in faith and is meant for restoration."

Christ gave us a gift that no amount of money can ever purchase... The gift of living! John 10:10 tells us that we can have life to the fullest. This is a precious gift that we have the privilege of wrapping in faith and sharing with others. The sad thing is that we too often choose to share death... we much too easily choose break relationships rather than build relationships. We find every excuse to say, "I have done enough, it's impossible to save this situation or relationship, I have enough hurt of my own I can not be meddling in somebody else's hurt. etc". 

"Faith is the impossible wrapped in the conviction that it will all work out for the best and carried in a bag knitted together by patience."

Maybe we should face what we perceive impossible! Maybe we should drop the gloom and depression and wrap our circumstances in conviction, carried by patience... I Think the world can do with a few more people who are prepared to face difficulty with conviction and is willing to see those difficult decisions through right to the end.

Today I choose to step out in faith… Even though my heart aches and the storms of grieve blow against me. I will wrap my impossible in the conviction that God has my back, even if I struggle to believe that right now.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stay strong!

"Stay Strong!" I heard my friend say to me... My response was, "I will try my best".  As I sat down and I thought about this conversation. The more I thought about this the more I got convinced that it might not be entirely possible. These two words, as well as they mean has probably been my biggest down fall over the last three months. I mean... It is really easier said then done...  What does it mean anyway? Does it mean don't cry (at least not in-front of us)? Does it mean don't show emotions? What do people mean when they say, "Stay Strong"? I say this not in a judgemental way or unappreciative of the sentiment, but rather in trying to make sense of this "grieving thing". I have been trying to be strong... but the more I try, the worse I feel. The more I pray for strength to carry my cross and follow Jesus, the harder it appears to be. I guess this is the law of nature or something... If a person wants muscles, then t

I miss you

My dear son Judah, born so small and sweet. Your presence in our lives was such a blessing. Today would have been your tenth year on Earth, but instead of celebrating your presence, we celebrate your precious worth.  You were certainly gone too soon. My heart still aches, my soul still sinks. I miss your laughter, your smile, your touch. I miss you so much, my heart hurts so much.  Your short life made a lasting impact, it's true, you taught me more than I ever taught you.  You showed me the strength in a smile and you'll forever be my baby boy.  I wish I could hold you, just one more time... Tell you I love you, that you are mine, but instead, I'll hold you in my heart each day.  I'll cherish the memories in every way...  My dear son Judah, I miss you So, but in my heart, your spirit will always live. I will smile today... I will step out courageous... In memory of you.  Happy 10th birthday, my precious boy. You'll forever bring me love, light, and joy.  

Random Faith Ramblings

I have come to realize that tragedy and strife often cause us to reflect and re-evaluate. I have had a bit of time to relook and reimagine life and faith. I have come to some kind of certainty that it is time for us (the Church) to have an honest conversation about the nature of our being and ministry. It is time for us to recognize and step up to the fact that the ministry and faith that we live and proclaim are not about our selfish needs and desires. As a Church, we are called to a higher purpose, a mission that extends beyond our personal desires and ambitions. The concept of the Missio Dei, the Mission of God, should shape and guide our understanding of ministry and faith. It is a concept that transcends our individual aspirations and egos. When we truly embrace the Missio Dei, we come to understand that our mission is not about building our own kingdoms or satisfying our personal agendas. It is about participating in the larger work of God in the world. As we reflect on the omnip